Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ruffled Burlap Wreath for $20!

After coming home from the Southern Christmas Show, all of the new burlap decorations inspired me to try out making my own wreath in this unlikely holiday decor fabric.  I managed to find quite a few crafty folks out there with the same idea, and quickly figured out how to make one of these for my front door!  All is takes is about $20 in materials and 2 hours of your time.  I found out a from a friend that, apparently, burlap is not easy to find, but Hobby Lobby has a great selection of burlap in multiple colors for only $4 a yard!

Materials:
18" Straw Wreath Form - Hobby Lobby or Michaels for $5 (or $3 with your 40% off coupon!)
3 yards of red burlap - Hobby Lobby for $4 a yard
Glue gun and one extra glue stick
Ribbon - Michaels or Hobby Lobby for $4 a roll
Straight Pins (to attach bow)


Cut 2 strips of burlap, each 3" wide by 3 yards long to wrap around your wreath.  Here is a link to a great burlap cutting method that I found online.  Wrap the two strips around your wreath, securing at the ends with your glue gun.


Next, cut 4 more strips of burlap, 3 1/2" wide each and 3 yards long.  Find a "strand" of burlap in the middle of each strip and pull to gather (similar to the cutting method above) and form a ruffle.


Arrange your ruffled strips like an "S" or a snake on the front of your wreath to create gathered ruffles.  Secure at each turn with your glue gun.


Once you have finished attaching your ruffles, (should take most of your 4 strips), you can make any sort of bow with your selected ribbon.  I used straight pins instead of glue to attach my bow to my wreath in case I decided to change out the ribbon in the future.  You can create a loop with your ribbon as a hanger and attach to any door, mirror, or a mantle with mounting tape (found at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment